Wednesday, April 25, 2007

A simple auto ride becomes a nightmare !


Today I took an auto to get to work and the guy politely asked for 20 rupees extra.

Considering that they generally ask for 1 and a ½ or double, I was pretty pleased and took the auto.

On reaching Infosys I found that the meter was tampered with and instead of the usual 65 it showed 85.

I asked him politely whether the meter is a good meter and he said yes and was expecting to be paid 105.

I asked him for his identification information since it wasn’t in the display to give a complaint.

He asked me to note down the taxi number. I said it is not sufficient. I asked the security for a pen and then he got agitated.

He said he cannot give me his name and address. I said then I wont give him his money.

He said go ahead and do complain that I don’t have a good meter, display and also mockingly that he is not wearing a uniform either (he was in jeans top and bottom)

He said that he knows how to collect the money, since BTM is his area.

I got really pissed at this point ( same time scared a little ) and said now he has crossed the limits and that he shd give his name and address.

He said he will start the auto and run me over!. I said go ahead, let me see!.

Then I said this is futile and I said to the security personnel who was present there that I will pay only what was discussed 65 (normal meter) + 20 = 85.

He collected the 85 and left.

Now I am really perturbed rethinking the conversation we had. It is scary.

I was wearing my ID too so he could have my name and he now knows where I work.

On one side I feel like giving a police complaint.
And on the other side I feel like if that would give him a clear path to my address, if he is a goon as he came through as.


On onside I feel that I should not have bothered with the extra 20 rupees.
On the other side I feel why should I not be while I was willing to pay extra 20 part away with another 20.


What a dilemma.

I posted this message in my company Bulletin Board and I have been receving encouraging, endearing and simple kind messages all day long. Feel so privileged to be among such people and a company that facilitates such forums. Simply Amazing.

Found from the kind people that we could register your Complaint on charging of excess fare by Autorickshaws due to Fare Meter tampering to "Assistant Controller of Legal Metrology " at the following address acat@kslmd.com or clm@kslmd.com
Phone Number : 080 - 2220 7750 or 080- 2228 4917
Could send a mail to DCP Saleem at dcptrafficeast@gmail.com
http://rto.kar.nic.in/COMPLAINTS_EXCESS_FARE.pdf

After my family discussion I wish to make a good decision. I have his auto #.

Bottom Line : A person cannot be allowed to issue violent threats or voice such nasty thoughts in public in a civilized country without facing the consequences.

I see 2 consqeuences:

Munnabhai way : I find out his identification, educate him, offer to buy him a good meter, and get him a anger management class and may be attend with him.

Legal way : Complain, follow-up, make sure he is punished.

General way : Ignore and forget.

Even though the munnabhai way looks like something a wuz would take. It truly gives peace to my heart. If I take the general way, I will consider myself a major wuz of the century.

But agreed that, to do one of the three one needs to have courage. If he is a cranky fellow, cud intimidate me again even after it taking any one of the above ways.

So all I can do now is pray to god to give me courage to pick one way and make peace with the consequences of the way.

Update: A cousin of mine ran a check for the auto ID and he is not even from Bangalore and the auto is a Maharastra registered one. She also told me that she was adviced to raise a complaint for this # since it was not even temporarily registred for transfer and that electronic city is a high security area and bombay autos shd not be allowed here for obvious reasons.

NOW, I am REALLY confused. Things have gone back to normal for me, atleast, I am worried not to start something here. But I also feel the sense of doing the right thing. :-(

1 Comments:

At 9:36 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Glad you got out of that OK.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home