Monday, May 28, 2007

Vernon God Little - Vommit Gag Little !


I mean !...This book is realllly weird. I had to struggle at times not throw this book out of the Infy bus window. I had wanted to read this book for a long time now, but kept postponing it since I hated Catcher in the Rye and this one was touted as a worthy followers of that "legendary" book. But I am glad thought that the reader in me persisted and I liked this book. I mean I cannot claim I know/get why this book got the booker price. Anyone can write all their vomitty/sidey thoughts out, but none have yet, in this colorful way and guess that made all the difference. This guy takes the cake for being the person who can be so creative at writing dirty. Not the dirrrty (sexual) dirty, but just crapish dirty, you know what I mean? DBC Pierre. Right pseudonym, Dirty-But-Clean Pierre.

In the end, after I set aside my expectations from a booker book and opened myself to the "loser" world created by the author, I fell truly in love, so much so that I wanted to get into vernon ohsosad little's damm life and set right things one by one, starting with knowcking some sense into his not-attending-trial-waiting-for-fridge-lalito-calling mom. That pathethic lady and her pathethic existance. I mean!. People like her should never have kids. Had major fun with the Ledesma's cheap character(laid-his-ma at the end for Vernon :-) This book is comical as they claim if you get these kind of people and their life, most will, but pretend not to though, thats a whole different deal altogether.

Ending was a too abrupt for me. But thanks to author for I wud have needed much more motivation than his almost entertaining and thought provoking encounter with the axe murderer ( the only one in the book who made some sense other than his second but good lawyer ).

Final Verdict - Okay read, gross,dry, world is totally mad humor.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home